When we hear Hong Kong the first things we think about are skyscrapers, lots of shopping malls and beautiful place to visit. The things we see about Hong Kong are sports, recreation, cinema, cuisine and music but there is a dark side of this city that is rarely discussed. China is one of the most densely populated countries and lots of people there live in horrible conditions. Since there is no land left for new buildings, 2,000,000 people have to live in ‘coffin cubicles’ sized 15 to 120 square feet. According to the UN, these cubicles are an insult to human dignity.
One photographer for national geographic, Benny Lam, said they resemble traps. When he got back home after taking photos, he said he cried. Even though there is nothing he can do about it, he was touched by what he saw. Those are the people you see every day. They are waiters, security guards or cashiers at shops.
More Info: Benny Lam
Here are 20 pictures that will give you a clear image of how these ‘coffin cubicles’ look like.
1. These people have accepted their faith so they make compromises to comfort themselves.
2. Just the thought of living here is devastating, but it is reality for many people.
3. It is difficult to imagine how someone can live here.
4. The everyday struggles these people face are real.
5. Looking at these pictures can give you goosebumps, be thankful you have a home with more space.
6. These photos clearly depict the horror of living in Hong Kong.
7. Do you think there is something worse than this?
8. It is cruel to expect people to live in such confined spaces.
9. The cage home doesn’t even have separate kitchen and bathroom.
10. These people are actually homeless because this can never be considered a home.
11. They can’t even stretch properly; it must feel suffocating to live here.
12. It breaks my heart to see this young woman, pay closer look to everything around her.
13. This one is even tighter than the previous ones.
14. I can’t even imagine how it feels to live here.
15. Everyone deserves to have a proper home where they can be happy.
16. Now I understand why the photographer cried after taking the photos.
17. How peaceful do you think this man is sleeping?
18. It must be devastating to know that you have to spend the rest of your life here.
19. Real coffins are actually better than these coffins where alive people have to stay.
20. How enjoyable do you think a meal is at this place?